What happened during upgrade?

Title: Message
Well, I have spent the last 2 days recovering from an upgrade to our mainframe. We had an H30 with a 60mip processor on the CP side and a 120mip processor on the IFL side. We had an install of Woody on the IFL side that was running LPRng and Samba for our print server.  Over the weekend we upgraded our machine to an H50. We upgraded the 60mip processor on the CP side to 120mip, doubled our disk space, and upgraded the microcode. The added disk space is not yet formatted.

So, Monday morning came around and our mainframe seemed to be running great with the upgrade. That was except for the Debian Print Server. For some reason, the print server was processing items in the queue about 1 per 30 minutes. By time they called me at 6:00 in the morning, we had over 100 print jobs backed up in queues. By time I got in to work and determined that it wouldn't be a quick fix, there were closer to 1000 print jobs in the queues. You know how it is. The person prints something, doesn't see it come out, so he prints it again... and again... and again.

I am wondering if anyone can tell why this happened. What was it about upgrading the CP processor, which this server wasn't even using, and the microcode that caused this Debian install to come screeching to a crawl? I am worried about this because we are moving more and more servers to Debian on our S390. We do upgrades at least every 3 years. In order to fix this problem, I had to re-install my Debian server. Luckily, this was not a time consuming process. We had the new server in about 3 hours, including 30 min lunch and a 15 min break. Is this something I will have to do any time I upgrade my S390? Any info would be helpful!

Sam Warren, Jr.

Computer Technician
Winnebago Industries
641-585-3535 ext. 7785