Re: [debian-devel] Re: [debian-devel] Hidden timeskew problems might show up on 2.6.x kernels

A levelezőm azt hiszi, hogy Jeroen van Wolffelaar a következőeket írta:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:46:11PM +0000, Magos?nyi ?rp?d wrote:
> > A levelez?m azt hiszi, hogy Jeroen van Wolffelaar a k?vetkez?eket ?rta:
> >
> > > I deliberately did not rerun automake, because
> > > 1) this might introduce new problems

It did took a time to figure it out.
Rerunning automake do not introduce new bugs, merely
turns out bugs hidden so far.
I guess this is the main point we disagree on.
I prefer bugs to be fixed while you prefer bugs not
to pop out. In the short run you may see less bugs,
but in the long run maybe my aproach is better.

> I disagree. You never know what kind of special things upstream has done
> to their generated files, what extra macro's they had installed, etc
> etc.

I would consider all of the above cases as bugs. The source should
fully define the build process and the resulting program.

> > But it is a bug in the package source, not in the toolchain.
> > So it should be corrected there.
>
> You can have a correct package source, but generating the .diff.gz by
> means of dpkg-source and then again unpacking it by means of the same
> tool, has currently the property that if originally A was newer than B,
> this might now have been reversed.

The mtime of sources shall not be significant in the definition of build
process, as mtime is only a way for make to figure out the causality of events.
There should not be causality between source files, as a source file which
is caused by another source file is not a source file because it is generated.
QED.

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból