Re: How to determine the urgency of an upload

Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> > Personally I feel most comfortable with:
>
> > high: security update
> > medium: RC bugs (especially adding a Build-Depends and similar trivial fixes)
> > low: everything else
>
> > But thats just me.
> [...]
>
> I do think it would also be perfectly sane to upload something with
> only trivial changes with urgency high, if there is a nice window for
> testing propagation currently, bacause the chances for introducing new
> breakage by trivial changes are small.
>
> E.g. if I had a version that was already waiting 9 days and was not
> inhibited by dependencies currently I would not think it to be
> unreasonable to upload a version that _only_ added three updated
> debconf-translations with urgency high.

Say you have a dependency bug on m68k. That looks like a trivial fix,
add the depends and rebuild so you select high.

Now the package takes 3 days to build and enters sarge the same day. 0
day testing period if you actually fixed the bug or not for an arch
you haven't tested. Doesn't feel right.

Just some thoughts.
        Goswin