Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 15:21, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:29:31AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > You can still be compatible with i386 and have a /lib32 except in the
> > broken-binary case.  Personally no one has actually demonstrated such a
> > case to me yet, but I've heard they exist.
>
> Sorry, but you're so wrong.  First of all, the string
> "/lib/ld-linux.so.2" is hard-coded into every dynamic ELF binary, which
> rather limits your choice of library directories.  Secondly, the use of
> RPATH is more common than you think; libtool still generally causes it
> (no comment on that practice).  There are a number of other
> case-by-case problems also.

If you have an instance of the current Debian Libtool 1.5 package
placing an RPATH to a library in a standard directory[0], or the
upstream Libtool 1.6 or Debian package doing the same, please file a bug
with enough information for me to replicate it.

It's a hell of a lot more effective than moaning about it.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?