OT: Fair Use not universal (Re: summary of software licenses in non-free)

[Setting MFT to debian-legal@lists.debian.org, as this discussion is
OT for -vote and -devel. Feel free to override as appropriate.]

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Sven Luther wrote:
> Let's drop does not allow modification, since there is not a single
> licence which will legally be able to stop you from modifying any
> piece of source code you may have, as long as you don't distribute
> it.

This assumes a jurisdiction which has a concept of "fair use"
rights. Apparently, there are jurisdictions that do not. [Copyright
systems with Droit d'Auteur wihtout specific "fair use" grants may
fall into this category.]

Don Armstrong

--
N: Why should I believe that?"