Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 17:56, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Warren Turkal dijo [Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:04:51AM -0600]:
> > While this is true. I will have to say that RH and Mandrake make it very
> > obvious is something has FAILED or not. I think it would be great if Debian
> > were to look into some more featureful solutions than SYSV type scripts
> > though.
>
> Maybe that's because Debian expects them not to fail? ;-)
>
> (I would completely agree with those red/green success indicators,
> BTW)

And, when we are already talking about this, I would like to have as a
requirement for init scripts that they return a status when called as
/etc/init.d/foo status
with a properly defined exit code. The status command should check if
the service is running as expected, and not just running (eg. if more
than one process is involved, if all of them are running. Talking of bad
experience with processes that fork, and do not notice their child has
died).

Greetings,
Oliver