Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 18:51, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> You won't be able to handle all this inside dpkg with magic, the
> packages will have to be manually tailored to not conflict with their
> 32-bit counterpart (omitting shared /share is probably the easiest) --
> at which point they become totally different packages anyway!

In fact, because the 64-bit package will be missing many key files
because it happens to share them with the 32-bit package, it's going to
Depend on the 32-bit package...

So we have libfoobar0, which is the standard 32-bit package and
lib64foobar0 which contains those files that differ for 64-bit and
depends on the former.

Package: foo
Depend: libfoobar0

(we don't care which one we get)