configure dies with Permission denied error

I have debian running from a very simple installation of the 3.0
rev1 "woody" disks.

I downloaded and uncompressed the mm distribution on the machine, and I
am having a problem running "configure". This problem occurs no matter
what I try to build, and so it is not particular to "mm".

Logged on to the console as root when I execute:

    ./configure

I get the following error:

bash: ./configure: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

Of course, configure will run if you execute:

    sh configure

but it dies as soon as it tries to fire off a submodule

I have been working with solaris and other UNIX distributions for many
years, so I should know the answer to this one, but I am getting old
and can't remember anything anymore

any ideas?