Re: Fixing the lm-sensors/i2c mess

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:49:05PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Looks like it has the same userland ABI as libsensors2, judging by
> sensors.h.  (I haven't checked any other header files, and I would guess
> that this needs testing.)
>
> Think you could try packaging 2.7.0, hacking it to produce libsensors2
> rather than libsensors-1debian1?
>
> Then build it with a stock 2.4.x kernel (i2c 2.6.x).  Then test to see
> whether it works with current ksysguard in unstable without KDE
> recompilation (which would prove that the ABI was the same).  I'd be
> happy to help with these two steps.

Btw, did anyone check whether the lm_sensors 2.8 userspace works with
the 2.7 kernel modules?  I can remember any changes to the kernel
modules (before the switch to sysfs in 2.6) that would break newer
userland with older kernel modules.  And I remember doing it the other
way around quite a few times (installed a self-compiled kernel with new
sensors drivers but not touching userland at all), but that's already
ages ago.