Re: [OT] Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 02:54:28PM -0500, Stephen Depooter wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 12:26, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 04:42:28PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Well, just for the record, i personnally would prefer we don't use
> > > demon name for keyword if possible.
> >
> > Forgive me for the gratuitous Harry Potter reference, but "fear of a
> > name increases fear for the thing itself." ;-p
> >
> Of course an Ursula LeGuin reference would be that knowing an
> object's/person's real name allows you to control the object/person.

This is, in fact, shared to some degree in Rowling's work. Note how few
people know Voldemort's real name - and how much power that seems to grant
them, in dealing with him.

Or maybe it's just that they remember him being an adolescent prat, like
everyone else, and don't see him as all that different. :)

Voldemort! Voldemort! Voldemort! See, nothing hap...

> sigh... I really do need to read the rest of the Wizard of Earthsea
> series.

Yes, you do. Don't forget the latest compilation of short stories. It gives
a huge amount of (very valuble) context to the history behind some major
plot points in the main series. Like why Roke has the strictures it does
about the gender of students, and what they're allowed to do.

Oh, and it wraps up some loose ends, too. Like the Master Summoner.

And no, those aren't spoilers.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/NetBSD(i386) porter                                       : :' :