Re: Revival of the signed debs discussion

* Wouter Verhelst (wouter@grep.be) [031203 23:10]:

> > > Valid for the autobuilder the package has been handed to and that send
> > > it in and if the changes file is correct.
> > >
> > > But what if the buildd failed and someone manually build the deb,
> > > signes it and uploads? The debian archive scripts would need a way to
> > > distinguish between autobuild packages and manually build binary-only
> > > uploads.
>
> I don't see why that would be the case. Could you elaborate?
>
> > The archive script would of course continue to accept any deb by any
> > DD under the same conditions as today. The question to the
> > buildd-admins is: How often does this happen?
>
> Hardly ever, if at all. Most "manual" bin-NMU's are done by people that
> are not buildd admins.

I don't understand what you mean. Perhaps it would be best if I try to
rephrase my ideas:

The archive scripts accept a package currently if the following
conditions are met:
* There is an signed changes file for the debs by a DD

These would be harded to the following:
* There is an signed changes file for the debs by a DD
* The debs are signed
  - by an DD
  or
  - by an buildd, if this buildd was the one to build this package.

So, the archive scripts don't distinguish between autobuild packages
and manually build binary-only packages, but they look at the debs,
and verify the signature. If the signature is by a DD, everything is
ok. If the signature is by a buildd, they verify that the buildd had
had an job to build this deb.

Ok?

Cheers,
Andi