Re: [RFC] adding system users: which is the best way??

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 15:46, Russ Allbery wrote:

> It does have the drawback that you could end up with accounts that differ
> only in case, which means that MTAs would probably have to be checked to
> make sure that they do the right thing.

RFC 2821 gives some great advice here:

        "However, exploiting the case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts
        impedes interoperability and is discouraged."

Heed it.

Having a Gsmith (system user) and a gsmith (Mr. G. Smith, normal user)
is _really_ asking for trouble. I haven't seen a Unix mailer set up for
case-sensitive usernames for a good long while. And if suddenly people
mailing USERNAME@DOMAIN.COM started getting bounces, well, I know my
users would be pissed.

It will confuse people who email the wrong one by mistake.

It will confuse people when they see it in 'ls'

Sure, Unix gurus know that usernames are case sensitive. However, it has
been tradition for so long that every username is lowercase that most
non-gurus probably don't know that. They'll probably thing 'hmm, the
system started capitalizing names, neat' when they see it. I mean,
that's only the standard convention in many languages!

Please, please, use debian- or some other prefix! That shouldn't confuse
any rational person....