Re: [RFC] adding system users: which is the best way??

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 01:51, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > I think the idea of a namespace for usernames used by packages is a good
> > idea, but rather than "debian-", we should take this to the LSB folk, so
> > that we can get it done once.
>
> The problem with this is time. I need to add a system-user (for exim4)
> _now_. Shall I go for namespace, and if yes which one? _debian-exim,
> debian-dexim, DEB-exim?

This might be pointing out the obvious, but anyway:

If nothing else, perhaps email a freedesktop list to get a tentative/
quick discussion of the topic - put some suggestions up there if you
want to pre-empt particular convention, and tell them what you chose
after a few days. Pre-existing usage (if you're the first), especially
as the result of discussion with the relevant people, will add something
to the decision process, hopefully toward not having to make changes in
the future.

cheers
zen

--