Re: Backport of the integer overflow in the brk system call

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 10:08:03AM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Apparently nobody knew it was comparable to ptrace, it looked like a
> simple bugfix and not like a local root exploit.

What bugs the hell out of me is that people with nothing better to do with
their time can sit on the lkml and watch what's getting fixed, and put more
analysis into individual fixes than the kernel maintainers themselves can,
and cook up an exploit for what all and sundry previously believed to be
reasonably benign.

I love the bazaar development model, but I see this as a serious flaw with
it...

Andrew