Re: [custom] Re: Custom Debian Distributions (was: Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?))

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Since I evidently didn't, I'm going to spell things out in as much
> boring detail as I can. If I don't end up insulting your intelligence,
> my apologies. :)

You have clarified the situation nicely.

> So, using my definitions, the following conclusions are (IMO) true:
>
> 	* all flavours are policy compliant
Basically sorting the stable archive and modifying the the current
installation scheme to suit.  Technically easy.  The task and exclude
lists in debian-cd and a few meta packages, or modify the override-*-extra
files.  Been there, done that.

> 	* some derived distros might be policy compliant
The final test being that the installation is completely apt compatable
with a Debian mirror?

> 	* you can't always create a flavour to do what you want
Yes

> 	* you can always create a derived distro to do what you want
Yes

> 	* improving our mechanisms for supporting "flavours" helps derived
> 	  distros and their users
And makes Debian more diverse and so more universal.

> 	* we can improve our support for "flavours" by co-opting many of the
> 	  techniques pioneered by derived distros
People who produce derived distros tend to think "outside the square" and
so can add a new dimention to Debian.

> 	* a derived distro can be an internal Debian project, but won't ever
> 	  be /as/ internal as a flavour
But always remain on friendly terms with those working outside Debian.

> 	* distributing customised Debian distros is not only the way of the
> 	  future, it's the way of the present!
Sure is, and Debian is by far the best distro for this purpose.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz