Using selections (was Re: [custom] Custom Debian Distributions)

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 05:38:15AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>  * you can't always create a flavour to do what you want

  # From a currently installed machine (or chroot)...
  shell$ dpkg --get-selections > selections
  shell$ vim selections
  shell$ mv selections desktop.selections
  shell$ mailx -s 'my desktop selections' friend@domain.tld < \
  > desktop.selections

  # on friend's computer
  shell$ dpkg --get-selections > my.selections
  shell$ diff my.selections desktop.selections
  shell$ sudo dpkg --set-selections < desktop.selections
  shell$ sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade -u

> * improving our mechanisms for supporting "flavours" helps derived
>   distros and their users

I'd be in favor of setting up user's favorite selections lists.  Perhaps
this would be appropriate for community forum sites, such as
DebianPlanet.org?  KISS.  If the solution isn't simple and elegant, it's
probably not ready for prime time.  Distributing selection lists via
forums, websites and the like is an easy way of creating flavors w/o
making structural changes to the Debian project or increasing the
package dependency jungle.

If you find your "flavor" is quite popular and isn't being sufficiently
covered by an existing Debian Subproject, propose a new one.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/