Re: Revival of the signed debs discussion

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 05:54:17PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 17:35, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > No Cc was necessary, I am subscribed to debian-devel.
> >
> > Please set your Mail-Followup-To accordingly, then.

I guess quibbling about CCs is a great way to disguise the fact that you
just stuck your foot in your mouth about debsigs, eh?

> 1) Please re-read the etiquette of the Debian mailing lists as published
>    at http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct
>
> 2) Mail-Followup-To is not defined by any standard.

It has long been informal policy, at least, to set Mail-Followup-To for
posting to these lists if you don't want replies.  mutt, which I use,
has no "reply to list" key if you do not set that.  Moreover, MUAs which
aggregate messages from multiple lists into a single folder can make it
very difficult and time-consuming to sort out the assumptions and
preferences for each individual poster in each individual list.  That is
what Mail-Followup-To is for.

There is a standard for Mail-Followup-To.  A quick Google turns it up.
Please see:

http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html