Re: Source only uploads?

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:57:20AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> > > What are you talking about? I'm not the one proposing anything.
> > >
> > > The proposal was "All packages should be built in an artificial
> > > environment of this form". I have pointed out that this is a
> > > braindamaged idea.
> >
> > Autobuilders already build packages "in an artificial"
> > environment" for every architecture except the one the
> > maintainer used for uploading.
> >
> > Surely making every package consistant on every architecture
> > should be a goal for Debian?
> >
> > Sure, ideally the package should build exactly the same way where
> > ever it is built, but differences can emerge with out being obvious,
> > for instance if a package detects an extra library
> > is installed on the maintainers machine and automatically uses it
> > without the maintainer being aware of what is happening
> > (this happened with early versions of Heimdal and libhesiod0 in fact).
>
> So, we have two scenarios. Let the package be broken in such a way
> that it builds differently on different platforms.
>
> a) All packages uploaded to the archive are built in an artifical
> environment. All packages in the archive function as expected.

This is the good think to do.

> b) The package is uploaded from real-world environments. Sometimes it
> breaks; when this happens the bug is noticed and corrected, so that
> the package always builds the same way.

A Malicious maintainer has installed a version of libc or whatever on
his system that opens the way to a security hole. He builds a package on
his system which links this libc statically and uploads it. Conclusion,
there is a security hole in the uploaded packages that there is no way
to trace given the sources only.

Furthermore, it may even violate the GPL in some cases, where a
maintainer uses a patch on his system, which is linked into a packages
he uploads, and there is no trace of the source code for this patch
anywhere.

> I say that (b) is vastly superior to (a). The tradeoff is temporary
> bugs in sid versus unnoticed bugs in a release. We'll never trap all
> the bugs, but going out of your way to _not look_ cannot be a good
> idea.

And you think than building the package in an environment corresponding
to what _1_ maintainer use is better than building it in an environment
that will be the same for every installed system once it is rebuilt.

Friendly,

Sven Luther