Re: Hardcoding of .la file paths in .la files

Le mar 14/10/2003 à 19:44, Daniel Kobras a écrit :
> Still, this whole prelink issue is tangent to the main
> point: There are valid reasons for static linking, and I oppose the
> blanket statement that we should deprecate this method.

And there are also good reasons to change our policy regarding .a files,
provided that they are just an extra download time in most cases.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep them in some specific cases (I'd
never consider removing them from libhdf5), but keeping .a files for GTK
or glibc doesn't make any sense. Even for some scientific libraries it
is just a loss of time and disk space, if these libraries read extra
files at runtime.