Re: Language extensions in programs under /usr/bin

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 01:24:37PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> > > I'm packaging a Python program called "ask" for distribution.
> > > Currently, the main executable is called "ask.py".
> >
> >  a. Whack upstream with a cluebat.
>
> Euh, I think you messed up.  Marco *is* upstream.
>
> So perhaps the discussion should be retaken.

I'm pretty sure I remember a discussion earlier this year about this exact
same topic.  Basically, the result came down to "scripts shouldn't have
language-specific extensions", because they add nothing useful, and because
the program could be rewritten in another language to do exactly the same
thing, and so the language extension would then be incorrect.

Unfortunately, I can't find the discussion, so I can't give more details.
But, in this case, I'd suggest that the author find a better name.  If 'ask'
is a common word, and shouldn't be used as a command, then surely the same
applies to 'ask.py' - after all, someone else could write another 'ask'
script in Python, and apply the same logic - which would result in a name
clash again.  Oops.

> P.S: keep me on CC, i'm not subscribed.

Done.

- Matt