Re: Hardcoding of .la file paths in .la files

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 07:33, Chris Cheney wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know why .la files hardcode the paths to .la files
> that they depend on?

To guarantee that you don't end up linking with something totally
different if the app being compiled happens to have a different search
path.

What's more of a problem here is that libtool actually links dependency
libraries of dependencies ... it's something I've been working on for a
while.

> This is about to bite Debian hard with some of the XFree86 libraries
> moving to /usr/lib.

How?  XFree86 doesn't use generally use libtool -- I only see
libXrender.la in my /usr/X11R6/lib

Scott

(Unsigned as keyring packed or Expo)
--