Re: Looking for a co-maintainer for adduser

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 05:42:05PM -0400, John Belmonte wrote:
> Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> >Because of how powerful is Perl? Because of the amount of things that
> >depend on Perl that currently exist and would be a waste of time to
> >rewrite? Because Perl might be the best tool for many cases? There are
> >many possible answers...
> >
> >Not that coding in Lua, scsh or similar tools is bad. Not that the
> >regular shells are not up to the task in many cases. Simply that... Perl
> >seems to be such a powerful language that people would end up installing
> >it anyway - And if you have an optional package installed in 95% of the
> >machines, then you have something I would like calling 'base'.
>
> Excuse me, but I'm not arguing Lua vs. Perl, or tiny languages vs. Perl.
>  Rather I'm challenging Colin Watson's statement, "Take away Perl and
> you've got only shell, C, and C++ left".

You haven't challenged it successfully, then; to my knowledge, my
statement is correct for the current base system, which is what it was
referring to.

I don't necessarily oppose tiny languages such as Lua, but perhaps
somebody should write the tools in question in them first, otherwise
this is pure vapourware. (Or, then again, perhaps they shouldn't; I'm
not a fan of rewriting things that already work.)

Cheers,