Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

also sprach Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2003.09.27.1253 +0200]:
> There is no good reason for the
> grsec patch to require a vanilla kernel tree, merely one that is
> slightly less patched than the current Debian one.

There is a good reason why grsec can require a kernel source that is
2.4.22 inside, if it says 2.4.22 on the outside.

> The right way to deal with this is to be able to trivially patch
> and unpatch the kernel source as required during building.

If I could request for just the IPsec patch to be removed when grsec
patches the kernel, that would be okay, but not acceptable really.

Why go through the trouble of unpatching when Debian's really all
about bottom-up? On a Debian system, I do not first go off to
disable all the useless junk other distributions install. On
a Debian system, I do not have to disable all the bells and whistles
of some of the programs. I do not have to disable PHP in Apache,
I don't have to disable open-relaying in the MTAs. However, I can
choose to do all these once the default installation has left me
with the basic installation. Why should the patching mechanism
around the kernel be different?

Now, I understand that security backports are necessary. But even
hardware enhancements are out of place, along with feature
backports! If I buy a network card known to work with 2.4.22 and up,
I would not install 2.4.21 hoping that Herbert would have included
the patch.

`. `'`