Re: Ideas about allowing Co-maintainer

On 05 Oct 2003 13:13:55 +0200
Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> There is no point for me working on those bugs if the patches will
> just rod in the bts or be thrown out so as not to differ from
> upstream. As I said before I won't work on the debian package again
> without an assurance by the maintainer that he will look at it.

I've occasionally helped out with util-linux, and I must say that
Debian's util-linux is already markedly different from upstream's, and
this isn't a good thing.

It's already bitten people once; for instance, it's unlikely that
cryptoloop volumes created with Debian's util-linux will work on other
machines (the passphrase is hashed before use in Debian's util-linux,
and I don't believe it's done elsewhere.)

As others have suggested, if you have fixes to upstream bugs, the best
place to send them is to upstream.

Failing that, you can always file them in the BTS and forward them
upstream yourself.