Re: Re: Where are we now? (Was: Bits from the RM)

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:59:58PM -0500, Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> was heard to say:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:09:16PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 04:10:21PM -0500, Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> was heard to say:
> > > I also don't think it is a particularly good idea for aptitude to
> > > default to installing suggests since it will likely bloat systems quite
> > > a bit installing various things such as bash-doc, gpart, parted, etc.
> >
> >   aptitude doesn't depend on any of those.  Do you mean when installing
> > other packages?  If too much stuff is being pulled in from Recommends,
> > the package maintainers are using Recommends incorrectly.  I haven't
> > found this to be a problem in practice.
>
> I meant since aptitude defaults to installing suggests by default, there

  Hm, it does.  I thought I fixed that ages ago.

  Just for some background: this wasn't supposed to happen, because
turning suggests on is a really bad idea, but I apparently accidentally
set it to "true" in one place in the code and "false" in another place
and in the documentation.  I thought I fixed this at one point in the
past, but apparently not.

  What happens is that the default state is actually false, but if
you go to the preferences dialog, the preferences dialog shows that it's
selected and selecting "Ok" causes the setting to be changed.

> Handling all the options were X'd which means selected right? I can't
> paste it here since aptitude seems to have mouse support so copy/paste
> doesn't work.

  Just FYI, you can use Shift to override mouse support in programs.

  Daniel

|   It is very dark.  If you proceed you are likely to be eaten by a grue.    |
\------- (if (not (understand-this)) (go-to http://www.schemers.org)) --------/