Re: d-i milo missing (might have fix)

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 10:27:01AM +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:46:33 -0400
> Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
> >
> > I have a DEC Alpha 1000/4 and a DEC Alpha 2100/4 (sable) that could be
> > stand a linux install on them. .....
> > The 2100 would be the nasty one to get it to work on. They both
> > require milo, the sable has never booted linux "proper" ever, as it's
> > is the "early version"

> I know next to nothing about alphas other then, that I got a AlphaServer
> 2100 4/233 from my father-in-law once. Which I installed debian on
> quite easily with aboot...
> Not that I want you not to spend time on MILO, but I thought I'd tell you.

There are three reasons why using MILO may be necessary:

- there's no version of SRM for your subarch
- you need to dual-boot with WinNT (hah!)
- you need the PC BIOS emulation features of ARC

If none of these apply, then certainly, SRM+aboot is the way to go.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer