Re: Done

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:44:20 -0400, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> said:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:09:09PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Package: mailagent Description: mail-processing tool Mailagent
>> allows you to process your mail automatically.
>>
>> I bet ya it would take more than a minute to take this package
>> down, find out what all it can do, and write up a description. And
>> multiply that with hundreds of packages with inadequate
>> descriptions, no wonder nothing ever gets done about it -- until
>> now.

> You'd lose that bet.  It took about 8 seconds to download the
> package and look in the upstream README, which gave me a good idea
> of what sort of mail processing features it has.  It also has
> several examples.

>> This program will filter all your incoming mail by applying a set
>> of rules and trying to figure out what to do with it. A message can
>> be saved in a folder, left in the main mailbox, posted to a
>> newsgroup, forwarded to other people, split if it is a digest, and
>> more.  You may even delete all that mailyou do not wish to see,
>> ever.  The filtering rules are specified in a notation similar to
>> lex(1).

> And that took less than a minute in total, borrowing phrases from
> the README.

	Good on you. Now, tell me again, if it takes a stranger to a
 package less than a minute to come up with a decent description, why
 in hells name are all these *MAINTAINERS*, for gods sake, whinging
 and crying all over the mailing list that no one has provided them
 with a patch for the bloody description?

	Is the alleged intention of the membership to create the best
 distribution ever a thing of the past?

	manoj
--
SHOP OR DIE, people of Earth! [offer void where prohibited]
Capitalists from outer space, from Justice League Int'l comics