Re: Mozilla tries to get you to install non-free software

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> Galeon does not offer to do that for me, actually. If there is, say, a
> flash animation on a page, it displays a "puzzle piece" icon and if I
> click on it, it tells me that a plugin is missing: "This page contains
> information of a type (application/x-shockwave-flash) that can only be
> viewed with the appropriate Plug-in.". No offer to install anything.
>
> Galeon 1.3.7. I wonder what I'm doing differently.

I may have misremembered galeon's behavior, I've not used it for a while
and the puzzle peice thing rings a bell.

With mozilla-firebird and ion, it uses a toplevel window that is not
even a proper child window of the browser, and that does not let its
geometry be set. So ion displays a tiny little flash dialog in the midst
of a black sea of a new tab it's opened for it, often in the same frame
I was in the middle of trying to use a browser in. This is beyond
annoying.

I've done three dpkg-diverts now that I was reminded it is the
nullplugin.so. In the meantime, I notice that my sister has followed the
dialog and apparently has flash installed on her computer (which vrms
thinks has no nonfree software on it). And I saw something in bugtraq
the other day about flash allowing sites to store cookie-like data on
the user's machine without cookie controls.

I am considering ITPing a no-flash-adverts.deb.

> (There are, of course, attempts at writing free flash viewers, but
> they've never worked for me to such a degree that I would want to use
> one. Maybe one day.)

I tried it once, and it worked well enough to display car commericals,
which was plenty of reason to turn it back off.

--
see shy jo