Re: RFC: fewer vim variants

Hi Luca,

 sorry about the Cc, but eye-balling -devel didn't reveal much activity
 from you, so I'm not sure if you track the list.  M-F-T is set to d-d.

 > I propose to restructure the vim package so that it builds fewer vim
 > variants.
 >
 > I propose to have only the following:
 >   vim  (aka vim-tiny; no interpreters, no docs)
 >   kvim (including all non-threaded interpreters; kde support; no docs)
 >   gvim (including all non-threaded interpreters; gtk2 support; no docs)
 >   vim-doc
 >
 > Let me know if this rubs you the wrong way.

 It' been a while since you sent that message.  Any changes or progress?
 Upstream is at patchlevel 72 of release 6.2.  As you know 6.2 has
 support for GTK+ 2, which is a significant point for people using UTF
 and/or XIM (and those of use who think antialiased text looks good).
 I'd very much like sarge to go out the door with this version of vim
 instead of the 6.1.474 we have right now (testing actually has 6.1.320)

 At the moment:

    * Perl is lost (that threaded thing)

    * Can't actually compile the package because ruby-dev isn't
      installable (wasn't there a -ruby mailing list? I can't say if
      this problem is transient or not, no bugs filed, and no noise in
      d-d-a)

    * The package's build system is not the most developer friendly
      thing in the world.  AFAICR this is Wichert's legacy (uh, sorry,
      not poinging fingers, just trying to remember for how long I've
      intended to submit a patch :-(

build-stamp-%:
        dh_testdir
        $(MAKE) -C $(SRCDIR) clean
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        Evil!

        cd $(SRCDIR) && CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS_$(*))" ./configure $(CFGFLAGS_$(*))
        $(MAKE) -C $(SRCDIR)
        mv $(SRCDIR)/src/vim $(SRCDIR)/src/vim-$(*)
        touch $@

      That really should read:

build-stamp-%:
        dh_testdir
        rm -rf $(SRCDIR)-$(*)
        mkdir $(SRCDIR)-$(*)
        cd $(SRCDIR)-$(*) && lndir $(SRCDIR)
        cd $(SRCDIR)-$(*) && CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS_$(*))" ./configure $(CFGFLAGS_$(*))
        $(MAKE) -C $(SRCDIR)-$(*)
        touch $@

      It makes debugging so much easier...

--