Re: why do I need EMail to install some debs?

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 08:22:33AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Obviously this option leads into a conflict with some subsequent
> packages relying upon a working EMail configuration within the
> same installation session.

> My suggestion would be to use debconf only.

The packages are using debconf - that's what's sending the e-mails.
What happens is that when messages are not displayed to you during
installation due to the priority you selected they get e-mailed to you
instead.  If you'd chosen to have all prompts displayed at installation
time then no e-mails would have been generated.

It might be nicer if Debconf just hid the messages completely but I
haven't thought much about why it behaves like this.