Re: Bug in cron postinst

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> writes:
>> YES, I know that the postinst doesn't work if you don't have any user
>> crontabs, feel free to stop reporting the bug -- I have enough.

>> You can get the installation to complete by editing /var/lib/dpkg/info/cron.postinst and removing these three lines near the end:

>>     for ct in * ; do
>>         chown $ct:crontab $ct
>>     done

> This also won't work with too many users.

No, it will.

ametzler@downhill:/tmp/big> rm *
bash: /bin/rm: Argument list too long
ametzler@downhill:/tmp/big> for ct in *; do rm $ct ; done \
  && echo success
success

> And lets add a user with homedir "`rm -rf ..`" just for fun.

Would not hurt.
ametzler@downhill:/tmp/big> bar="\`yes\`"
echo $bar
`yes`
(If you want to see the kernels oom killer in action try "eval $bar",
I just did. - "Sep  3 10:13:16 downhill kernel: Out of Memory: Killed
process 788 (bash) ;-)."
                cu andreas