Re: "non-free" software included in contrib

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 23:40, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On 31 Aug 2003 17:51:42 +0200, Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> said:
>
> > But now we're discussing about it and I express my opinion: since
> > these packages in their postinst script install non-free stuff, I
> > think that even if there's no non-free stuff within the packages
> > themselves, the result of the installation of these packages (and
> > not their dependancies!) is to get non-free stuff. And so, it leads
> > me to the conclusion that, whatever the fact that the non-free part
> > is downloaded at the same time than the debian package or not, this
> > package itself contains non-free stuff.
>
> 	This is no different from any package in contrib that actually
>  depends on non-free software. You seem to be implying that contrib is
>  only supposed to be composed of software that may build depend on
>  non-free packages, but may not depend on, or install, non-free
>  packages.

Really? I read it as a request to be honest about the program's
intentions. When you install a program from contrib that depends on
something in non-free, you're clearly installing something in non-free
(vrms will recognize it, dselect will say that it's non-free, and so
on), in addition to the thing in contrib. Also, the thing in contrib is
suppossedly a useful piece of almost-free software, that happens to use
a non-free toolkit, compression library, or whatever. You may be
installing it to rewrite that part, for example.

The installer packages aren't recognized as non-free by vrms or dselect,
and I would question the copyrightability of the installer (is a
wget/dpkg line copyrightable? I doubt it). Furthermore, the installer is
totally useless for doing anything but writing another non-free
installer, since it's so trivial. There is no reason to install the
installer unless you plan to install and use the non-free software.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>