Re: DO NOT UPGRADE UNSTABLE: Terminal text stops functioning

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 07:17:50PM +1200, Adam Warner wrote:
> Hi Geordie Birch,
>
> > FWIW, I have version 2.85-5 of initscripts, sysvinit, and sysv-rc
> > installed and am not having any problems re. terminal output.
>
> Upon standard bootup into a terminal it appears that output ceases before
> the INIT: Entering Runlevel : 2 message but will start up again if the
> kernel sends a message to the terminal.
>
> This could explain how you were still able to see the login. I suspect if
> you look harder at your terminal output you will see some of it is
> missing. You could be fortunate that a kernel message restarted the
> terminal output. On my third system output had also fully ceased in single
> user mode just like the rest. But when booting normally it restarted after
> a while when the parport module produced output.
>
> Perhaps one of the upgraded scripts contains an XOFF (CTRL-S) character
> code.

I don't think it is a kernel message that is causing the output to start
up again: on this system the arpwatch startup script
(/etc/rc2.dS40arpwatch) causes a kernel message but non-kernel message
output still does not appear on the terminal.

The output of the the scripts in /etc/rcS.d/ is not affected; that of
those in /etc/rc2.d/ is.

On this system output begins to appear normally after bootlogd has been
stopped, by the last script in the boot sequence,
/etc/rc2.d/S99stop-bootlogd.

Geordie.