Re: ftp.au.debian.org

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 12:44:59PM +1000, Steve Kowalik wrote:
> At 10:21 am, Sunday, June  8 2003, jason andrade mumbled:
> > no broadband out there ?
> >
> Broad-band? Whats that mean?
>
> In all seriousness, the broadband "situation" in .au at the moment is
> horrible. I'm just thankful for the 512/128 DSL link I have.

Broadband for me would be a downgrade in some respects, it either would
cost me more, or I would loose my static /28 IP subnet for instance (if
not both).

The cheap ADSL packages only let you have a dynamic IP address, and in
the fine print say "no servers allowed" (what this exactly means is a
topic of debate...).

I also know a ADSL customer who lost ADSL connection for 29 days while
Telstra stuffed around with up an upgrade of the switches at the
exchange.

ADSL reliability problems seem to be just another fact of life, here
with Telstra. I don't know what it is like in other countries...

Meanwhile, my ISDN/DOV connection to APANA has been rock solid, the only
problem I have had with APANA is the ADSL connection at the other end to
the rest of the Internet...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>