Re: dh_installinetd

Brian May wrote:
> Just some points:
> 2. Presumably the user would still customize the /etc/inetd.conf
> file or the /etc/xinetd.conf file.
How about having the script that generates /etc/*inetd.conf also having a
function to reverse this? I know that it's the users own fault, but that might
also help moving existing configs to a new design. You could also detect whether
a file or an entry is autogenerated (preferably with a checksum of some type).

> 4. I think tcpd is inetd.conf specific, so I would assume update-inetd
> should add it as appropriate.
AFAIK xinetd has some libwrap calls built-in, however, the manpage references
tcpd also and there seems to be a mechanism and some benefits in using it.

> 5. Maximum-concurrent-connections, IIRC is a parameter that can
> be specified in xinetd.conf.
I thought that there is a per_source as well as a connections per second and
lots of other stuff, but I don't remember a limit on the absolute number of
connections.

> 6. I have assumed that setting up xinetd.conf to listen only on
> certain addresses, etc, is a system-admin function, and should not
> be listed in above file.
However it might lead to more secure stock setups when some services only bind
to localhost by default. Also, I have the same service with different
configurations (e.g. different TLS certificates) on the same IP. I wonder if
it's that uncommon (especially since xinetd+stunnel a very nice way to get some
programs to ssl), so it might be worth considering such setups.

I might also ask for a way to specify some defaults. E.g. default address to
bind to or the "flags=REUSE" for xinetd.
Also, some generic way to add options which are normally not handled by this
configuration could be nice (e.g. X-Xinetd-flags: RESUE in above example.)

(Just my thoughts.)

Cheers

T.