Re: knoppix/bootcd like software?

Op vrijdag 7 maart 2003 08:35, schreef Andreas Tille:

> In my opinion it is not the question whether it is easy or not.
> Remastering Knoppix means in any case getting a > 700 MB file from a
> limited set of mirrors. This will become a hard task in the future and
> makes really no sense if you just need a limited subset of the data on this
> iso image.  It would be *really* stupid to grab a complete iso image just
> to remaster the latest Knoppix where just some files might be changed.

Jigdo comes to mind:

 Using the jigdo-lite script contained in this package, you can use
 your nearest "regular" Debian mirror to download Debian CD images,
 instead of having to use one of the few, slow, overloaded mirrors
 that offer the images as direct HTTP or FTP downloads. See
 <http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/> for details.
 .
 Jigsaw Download, or short jigdo, is a scheme developed primarily to
 make it easy to distribute huge filesystem images (e.g. CD (ISO9660)
 or DVD (UDF) images) over the internet, but it could also be used for
 other data which is awkward to handle due to its size, like
 audio/video files or large software packages.
 .
 jigdo tries to ensure that the large file is downloaded in small
 parts which can be stored on different servers. People who want to
 download the image do so by telling the jigdo download tool to
 process one ".jigdo" file; using it, jigdo downloads the parts and
 reassembles the image. jigdo-file is used to prepare the files for
 download.

A typical jigdo part would be 1 debian package.

Using jigdo (technology) it's possible to generate ISO's from all existing
Debian mirrors. A single "base" package that contains all the modifications
and adjustments to the normal packages could well be done in 50 - 100 MB. You
would download the base package from it's distributor (Knoppix, Debian,
Localhost), but the rest of the 600 megabytes comes from regular mirrors.

Custom backgrounds, bootscreens, non-free software etc would also be easy to
add through scripts, if the ISO is generated locally.
- --
	Casper Gielen
CAPSLOCK2000@zvdk.nl, capslock2000@subdimension.com
- --
The Devil came to Redmond, looking for some souls to steal,
and there he met with Billy G, who was just about to make a deal.
Said the Devil, "Hey Billy, you look bored, would you care to make a bet?"
And Billy he smiled slyly, and said "Dude, there ain't a deal that I've missed
yet."
So the Devil took his keyboard and showed Billy his new game,
Saying "I wrote this quick, in VB6, now see if you can do the same."
Billy G, he just smiled his smile, and took the keyboard away,
and said, "Devil, you're behind the times, and you clicked on the EULA,
"Now you've run Windows Update, and your soul belongs to me."
And the Devil knew he'd met his match, so he turned and tried to flee,
But Billy G was much to fast, and he caught the Devil's long black cape,
Saying, "Devil, stay and play a while, we have a whole wide world to rape."