Re: Can linux handle many files on directories?

[please don't steal threads]
[this doesn't belong to debian-devel]

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 21:14, Patricio Vera S. wrote:
>     Hi guys!,
>
>     I'm newbie in Linux and I have a problem : I need hadle about 50.000
> files in one directory, how Linux handle this? how is the performance?, the
> project is :
>     I have 2000 reports montly, about 270.000 pages reports montly, so I
> think save the report in a
> YYYYMMDD/<name-of-report>/<name-of-report.num-page> tree directory
> structure.

It depends on the file system. ext2 probably will be dog slow, reiserfs
probably will. Don't know about others.

Usually, in this situation you use an additional level like
.../path/01/... and .../path/02/.... where the 01, 02, ... is created
only to limit the number of files per directory to something like 1000.

(If you ask about suggestions: personally, I'd prefer postgresql over
mysql - but this is mostly for ideological and personal reasons).

cheers
-- vbi

--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.