Re: debconf template translation

From: barbier@linuxfr.org (Denis Barbier)
Subject: Re: debconf template translation
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 22:50:00 +0100

> Since debconf 1.2.0, encoding of localized fields can be specified within
> field name.  This allows encoding conversion when user's charset is
> different, which will become more and more common because of UTF-8 support.
> Po-debconf must be used instead of debconf-utils in order to generate
> translated templates with such fields. but according to
>   http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/
> very few packages (around 30, plus debian-installer packages) made this
> transition.

I know this is a silly question but ...

I try to use po-debconf instead of debconf-utils
with one of my packages and it seemed not so hard
and I guessed a correct templates was generated.

But when I tried dpkg-reconfigure under LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
(which worked with old style templates) I saw simply English
text.

Further, I tried with debconf but I failed to see Japanese
text too.

Is there any special setting (e.x. LC_* etc.?) needed
for po-debcont style templates to work?

Thanks,			       2003-3-5(Wed)

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.