Re: debconf template translation

ma, 03-03-2003 kello 19:17, Michael Bramer kirjoitti:
> > Now I have A version 2.0 on my system, but debconf-l10n-fi.deb only
> > supports version 1.0 of A. Thus, debconf confusingly speaks English to
> > me, instead of Finnish, and not only is this ugly, but I also don't
> > understand English very well. This jeopardizes my ability to administer
> > the machine.
>
>     debconf should only show the english one, if the english text is
>     changed in package version 2.0. Debconf should check the english
>     text, not the package version.
>
>     You get the point?

Yes, that was exactly my point: Version 2.0 of A has a changed debconf
text (I failed to spell this out explicitly, sorry), and thus the user
is in trouble. Thus, the single package for all translations for all
packages using debconf is not a workable solution, unless my logic is
much mistaken.

Given that a package with translations for each package using debconf is
also not a good idea (way too many extra packages), I think this leaves
us with the only option being that we include the translations in the
package itself.

> And I'm repeating what I said already:
>    I will code something and the DDTP will support this.

It would, I think, be best to discuss this first, before coding
anything. Work with the maintainers, not against them. That way you can
get a system that everyone is *glad* to use, instead of having something
they don't like forced down their throats.

Supporting translations is a good goal, but I'm not sure I like the way
it is being done now, with some people declaring maintainers are bad and
evil and wanting to unilaterally decide how things should be done.