Re: debconf template translation

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:36:28AM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 06:28:19PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > And I think the fundamental reason for this is that the DDTP *is not
> > notifying maintainers about new debconf translations*, which had been the
> > procedure for some time before the DDTP ever became involved.
>
> Please don't write something like this, if you don't know the facs!
>
> _three_ years ago I start a debconf translation coordination web page
> and we translate debconf templates, bug the packages and put the bts
> numbers on the webpage. (The page start with 200 packages with debconf
> templates, and was growing with the time.)
>
> Some packages use the send translations and close the bugs. Thanks again
> to all this package maintainers.
>
> Bug some package maintainer don't support translations, don't have time,
> collect the translations to avoid upload, wait for a new upstream
> version, ...

So, how do I find all debconf templates for my packages?
http://ddtp.debian.org/stats/debconf/mantainers.en.html (sic) claims
that I can do this, but the URLs it suggests don't exist. When you have
30-odd source packages, it's incredibly tedious to trawl through looking
for package names.

The one update that I did find (faqomatic, although that's in the
process of being adopted by somebody else) was certainly never sent to
me. If it had been I would have uploaded it almost immediately. As it
is, it's just rotting.

Make contact. File bugs. Don't operate off on your own.

> > I have tried to navigate the DDTP website to find debconf translations.
> > The pages are difficult to navigate and slow to load.  I care quite a bit
> > about l10n, but these pages are too cumbersome for me to be bothered
> > with.
>
> The webpages are in progress...
>
> Use the PTS and you will find your translations. Use the PTS and you
> will get your mails... See the announcement some weeks ago...

I shouldn't have to subscribe to the PTS for my own packages. It would
also be nice if description translations and debconf template
translations were separated; I'd like the latter but not the former. (By
the way, there was no announcement that debconf template translations
were available through the PTS, as far as I can see;
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0301/msg00007.html seemed
to be talking about description translations only.)

> > Before you declare that package maintainers delay the process, I think
> > you should make more of an effort to put these templates in the hands of
> > maintainers, which IS the right way to get this done.  I don't see how
> > you can claim maintainers are delaying the process when you're not
> > involving maintainers IN that process.
>
> Sorry, but the source package maintainers are can't help, they can only
> delay the process.

I have corrected errors in translations in the past; I estimate that I
have to make corrections about one in five times I receive a translation
(whether PO files or debconf templates). Just because I'm a native
English speaker doesn't mean I can't make a good attempt to check
translations into other languages, particularly of text I'm familiar
with, and spot obvious errors.

DO NOT try to circumvent me for packages I maintain, PLEASE; it is a
persistent myth that maintainers cannot help with translations, and it
is simply arrogant and wrong. If you persist in regarding package
maintainers as people who are just out to get in your way, then it's no
wonder you're encountering resistance.

Cheers,