Re: Help wanted testing gcc-3.3 / gcc-snapshot

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:06:44PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Try to build with the 20030301 snapshot package, first with standard
> CFLAGS (-O2), then -O1, then -O0. Maybe it's sufficient to compile
> only the Radeon specific files. Try to reproduce the bug after each
> build.

I've known for awhile that -mno-mmx and -mno-3dnow will fix the bug,
but this will hurt performance. The bug apparently has to do with gcc
mixing FP code and MMX code. I wasn't able to find any PRs that seemed
related.

> Maybe here you can stop and ask the xfree86 maintainer to insert a
> file specific rule to produce the correct object file.

If mainline gcc was packaged, I could just ask the X maintainer to
compile with that gcc. I think this problem is moot now with X,
because the latest XFree86 source works around the bug somehow. When
it is packaged, presumably 3d accel will work again. However, this bug
might affect other packages.