Re: [internal-projects] [Debian-multimedia] Start an official internal project!

Sorry for this extra blah blah email but i really need to clarify
something about your below sentence, because it was coming back to my
mind all afternoon...so i really need to reply..:-)

So the tech report you are waiting for will be coming...a bit later.

Il 12/02/2003 alle 19:35:05, +0100, Francesco Paolo Lovergine ha scritto:
> A lot of good work in debian in the past and in the present
> was born as a single-man effort. And this is true for all free software.

This is true and incomplete.  All free software in general starts from
a single person effort, true. After couple of years that project
either dies because it becomes too much for a person or it becomes a
collaborative work.  Going back to DeMuDi, what you can see is just
the surface of an iceberg, i first proposed in the middle of the 90s a
project called LAOS (Linux Audio Operating System), time were not
mature but from that discussion started the LAD/LAU lists (Linux Audio
DEv/User - that is what they told me i was not aware of that...).  In
2001 while i was organising the International Computer Music
Conference (that has been a double challenge, first time in Cuba and
scheduled 10 days after September 11...) i proposed to Guenter to
make, and found myself some time to work on the first DeMuDi Release
(Alpha release) -there is people still using it...well majority of
them they now upgraded to 0.9. I then found the possibility to place
DeMuDi into a European Project and that's what we did...so it would be
kind of the right time for starting a larger project (in term of
community involvement), the two men distribution time i think it is over.
(actually it has always been our intention to make it as much
collaborative as possible, maybe we failed because of us..or because
the way is done and perceived by external user didn't help and also
because most of the subscribers in the mailing lists are musicians and
users in general not developers).

I don't consider Debian-multimedia as an *integration* of DeMuDi, i
think it is the wrong word. I just think that there are the perfect
conditions in the Debian distribution to create a solid multimedia
project whit in Debian (maybe there were a year ago as well but we
weren't able to see them, and also there are some technical factors
that make it easier now).  Also the fact that DeMuDi, as Andrea said,
is a focused distribution while Debian is more multi purpose, it is
actually irrelevant to the discussion, in fact Debian junior, for
example is a focused distribution whit in Debian. Plus, next year, the
grant will be over...

I'm sorry you have such a bad picture of DeMuDi, this kind of makes me
feel quite bad after the years, days and nights i spent on it without
making a cent out of it...like as many as the present developers they
do everyday, I'm not claiming I'm a saint...of course.

later for more serious clarification of TODO and state of art.

Ah...before i forgot...i write it here at the end so few people will
get here and less chances for a ...flamewar...:-)

you probably saw mplay** ... as a dependency in the DeMuDi-video task,
which also includes cinelerra, but the actual package is not there
because fsfeurope said that there was a problem with the license...
Fsfeurope is one of the consortium partner of Agnula and they did a
very precise good job, also, some packages that appear in the main
Debian, such as PD, were not, at the beginning of our project, totally
free software, because of some license detail. So now they are and
this is thanks to DeMuDi job...so you see we weren't that dead.

OK, this is my last blah blah message, now I'll write a more detailed
report on the state of DeMuDi and what could be helpful for
Debian-multimedia of that experience.

		  thanks,
		  marco

* marco trevisani                                                      *
* http://trevisani.mine.nu   marco@centrotemporeale.it                 *
* Neither MS-Word nor MS-PowerPoint attachments please:                *
* See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html           *
* Gpg Fingerprint = 6096 84B8 046C A5C9 B538  255E 9FFF 1121 3AFB FFA6 *