Re: OpenSSL 0.9.6/0.9.7, LDAP, SSH, friends

* Junichi Uekawa (dancer@netfort.gr.jp) wrote:

> > <whine>Why does the name of the libssl package change EVERY FRIGGING
> > release? Does upstream really change the soname? Do they really break
> > binary compatibility? WHY?</whine>
>
> If you are experiencing problems (like segfault) with linking 0.9.6 and 0.9.7
> at the same time, it is most likely that you will experience
> similar problems even if the soname didn't change...

If the soname didn't change and were actually compatible then the
upgrade would replace one with the other, thus you wouldn't have them
both installed to cause the segfault in the first place.

I suspect even if they're compatible linking them both in at once could
cause problems due to internal data structures being different and
whatnot.

	Stephen