Re: Linux header breakage in non-i386 builds

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 11:56:06AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Ben writes:
> > I have been told I can simply include the headers in my own package.
>
> That's what I do when I have to, but in most cases the need for such
> headers can be eliminated by including the correct libc headers.  Doesn't
> look like that will work for you, though, since nothing seems to include
> linux/videodev.h.
>
> I suggest that you include the definitions you need from linux/videodev.h
> in your package.  Try using asm/signal.h to pull in the linux/time.h stuff.

Err..., asm/ is just the arch-specific part of the kernel headers, and
equally fragile therefore. So the signal.h detour doesn't buy you
anything.

Now, for the specific problem of videodev.h, the kernel happens to be
the one and only source providing an application interface--there's no
standard library inbetween. Hence, the videodev headers are actually
meant to be used from userspace, and it's a bug if they break in
userspace. Incidentially a bug that has been fixed in the latest
linux-kernel-headers package (that unfortunately failed to build on a
couple of archs). So you can either copy the fixed headers from there,
or Build-Conflict with linux-kernel-headers (<< 2.5.999-test7-bk-10).

Regards,

Daniel.