Re: Intel f90 compiler for Debian.

Hi,

On Sat, 06.12.2003 at 23:15:31 -0500, Lukas Geyer <lukas@debian.org> wrote:
> Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> writes:
> > There still are a lot of Fortran libraries which people are used to,
> > and they have been heavily optimized over the years.
> I thought that all or most of these libraries had C bindings in the
> meantime. And for optimization purposes, it might not be as easy to do
> in C, but there have always been options like -fstrict-aliasing and
> such. However, that is probably not so much an issue if the C
> functions are just wrappers for the Fortran library. People who want

I don't know the state of affairs these days, but some years ago,
numerics with C were not only much slower, but also MUCH LESS
accurate than the corresponding Fortran functions (I stopped using
Fortran at Fortran77). If, and how, a C binding for a Fortran library
is a solution to the problem, I don't know.

I mean, it doesn't help if your C program runs, say, 100% of the
speed of a Fortran program, but the results are off enough to
just be invalid, which was almost always the case when I tried
(at the time)...

Of course, updates on this are very welcome to me!

Best,
--Toni++