Re: Programming first steps.

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:45:51PM +0800, David Palmer wrote:

> (1) What is the best language to start with?

I'd say it depends why you cant to learn programming. If you want to
hack on the programs written by others, C will pretty much be imposed
to you sooner or later, and I don't have much good advice to offer.

If it is all about the intellectual journey, definitely take a
functional, higher-order, statically typed language. OCaml has my
heart (and the package ocaml-book-en contains what you think it does),
but I've heard great things about Haskell. Scheme is fun, but for a
first language, the type-checking of OCaml / Haskell should help.

--
Lionel