Re: exim4-config and exim4-base installed on systems with non-exim-MTA

Tore Anderson <tore@linpro.no> wrote:
[...]
>  I thought about it for a while, but I don't really think that'd be a
> good idea.  Although I'd certainly use such a package myself, I believe
> it's not worth bloating the archive with yet another config package.
> Afterall, I would rather see the one that's already there removed and
> its functionality merged into exim4-base[0].
[...]
>  We add a new option in update-exim4.conf.conf (and perhaps with
> a matching question in the debconf scripts, too) which, when
> enabled, would modify update-exim4.conf's behaviour to something
> like the following:

>    * Enables --keepcomments
>    * Suppresses the "generated dynamically" warning
>    * After the concatination, it installs /v/l/e/config.autogenerated
>      into /e/e/exim4.conf, with the appropriate checks for user
>      modifications (ucf could be used for this)

>      (Alternatively, replace /v/l/e/c.a with $(tempfile) and set
>       --output to the latter.)
[...]

Hmm, would nice if is possible.

There is a piece missing: u-ex4.c is noninteractive and has to stay
that way because it is invoked e.g. by "invoke-rc.d exim4 reload".
Therefore a new option in /etc/exim4/u-ex4.c.c is not enough,
maintainerscripts would need to invoke it differently
(--updateconffile).

I am very sorry for the late and short response.
             thanks, cu andreas