Re: run-parts concurrently?

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 12:20:14PM -0800, Will Lowe wrote:
> > >Is there a version of run-parts out there that runs all the
> > >scripts in a directory in parallel?  I have been writing
>
> I'm not sure how great an idea this is.  run-parts(8) specifically
> says:
>
>  Files are run in the lexical sort  order  of  their  names  unless  the
>  --reverse option is given, in which case they are run in the
>  opposite order.
>
> So it's quite possible that by running things in parallel you'll screw
> up an inter-script dependancy chain.

Sure, but there wouldn't be any harm in having an extra option
to run-parts to do things in parallel.  You wouldn't want to run
it in crontab like that by default for the reason you give above,
but it would be nice to have.

--

--- Geoff Richards -------------><-------------- http://ungwe.org/ ---
"I tried to fling my shadow at the moon,