Re: [custom] Debian Enterprise - packages

[Late answer, but I just lacked the time to read all mails.]

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:52:13PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 14:45, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > As per the recommendations from Bruce Perens' User Linux paper
> > http://userlinux.com/white_paper.html, this thread is to discuss the
> * Desktop Suite - GNOME (as more-Windows-like as KDE is, GNOME
> definitely has greater momentum, with SUN and HP, and now Novell's
> acquisition of Ximian and SUSE and corresponding statements - really,
> there's no point fighting the tide on this one).

I'm not sure I'd subscribe to this point of view, nor am I sure I even
like it.

We, as in Debian, do NOT go for a desktop suite just because it has
momentum in the enterprise world. We never did. And as long as you call
it enterprise DEBIAN there's still a large part of the debian spirit in this.

Besides I won't even buy the situation as you paint it. I'm not sure
what's the situation in your country but Germany certainly has been KDE
territory ever since and I cannot see all those companies switching
desktop suites. I for one have never been actively asked for Gnome, just
for KDE so far.

One final word, I strongly believe that the best thing free software has
to offer is its freedom and that it is driven by the community. KDE
still is mostly driven by a community not by companies, so why does this
sponsoring momentum change anything?

Note that I do not want to get into a technical discussion as I've used
both over the years. Why can't we just let the customers decide?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De