Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

[I am not subscribed to debian-bsd.]

[We're back off-topic for -legal.]

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 07:33:17PM -0500, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I have little patience for superstitious beliefs, and less still for
> > people who claim to be defending the tender feelings of the ignorant.
>
> But why use names correlated with evil

That's not an objective observation.  Most people won't know what the
hell (so to speak) the names refer to.

> when other options are available which interfere less with Debian's
> goals?

There's no interference if there is no apprehension of the purported
evil correlation.

> I recognize Forneus and Orobos -- Naberius I'd have to look up.

You're better educated in this stuff than I am -- I hadn't heard of any
of the three until reading the list, and this is after 20 years of
exposure to heavy metal music and Dungeons and Dragons, which should
have exposed to me to all the evil there is.

At least that's what the fundies tell me.

> > In any event, for any name that doesn't raise trademark issues (and
> > thus potentially jeopardize the entire project), I'd say
> > the choice remains up to those who are actually doing the work -- and
> > that would be the Debian *BSD porters.
>
> Street names from Berkeley have appeal, and few fundies assign
> Manichean properties to asphalt.

You haven't met the Amish?  :)

Anyway, that doesn't sound like a bad naming scheme in principle.  Got
any specific names in mind?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I've made up my mind.  Don't try to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    confuse me with the facts.